Career Change Cover Letter Sample
This career change cover letter sample can be used when you are applying for a job opportunity in a different career field.
Focus on those transferable skills and competencies you have that are relevant to the new career opportunity. Use the job posting to identify the required competencies and articulate these clearly in your cover letter.
Adapt this sample cover letter to meet the needs of your specific
situation. Convince the employer that you are able to do the new job and
to do it well.
SAMPLE CAREER CHANGE COVER LETTER
Your Contact details (phone and email)
Contact Job Title
Company City, State, Zip Code
Dear Mr/Mrs/Ms Smith
It is with interest and enthusiasm that I respond to your job opening for position. I strongly believe that the skills and abilities I have gained during my career to date make me an excellent candidate for this opportunity. The key competencies I possess which relate directly to your job requirements include:
- Communication skills – successful in building strong co-operative relationships with key clients and decision-makers.
- Problem solving ability – regarded as a resourceful problem solver evident in the successful development and implementation of new policies and procedures.
- Planning and organizing – proven track record of effectively prioritizing multiple tasks and assignments in a fast-paced work environment to efficiently meet departmental and company objectives.
- Team player – a solid reputation as a competent team member who is always prepared to go the extra mile to achieve results.
- Self starter – considered a highly motivated employee with the capacity to learn quickly and take responsibility for my own development.
I am convinced that my broad experience in previous career field has equipped me with a strong set of valuable competencies that meet your needs. I am eager to combine my previous experience with my passion for new career field in order to work hard and make a meaningful contribution to your organization.
I would welcome the opportunity for a personal interview to discuss this further. Please contact me at your earliest convenience to set up a time and date for us to meet.
Thank you for your time and consideration and I look forward to speaking with you soon.
How to write a persuasive career change cover letter
Your cover letter should come across as a strong endorsement of your
ability to succeed in the new career field. This can be achieved by
highlighting the following in your cover letter:
- your transferable skills and competencies that will make a direct and positive impact on successful job performance in your new career
- your workplace strengths
- your strong commitment to the new career and your passion for the job and the company
Find out more about how to develop a job-winning career change cover letter at Career Change Cover Letter Sample Tips
What to focus on in your career change cover letter
on the skills needed for the job opportunity. To find out the skills
and competencies required for different jobs and careers when writing a
career change cover letter visit sample job descriptions.
The job skills list provides detailed information on the skills used in different career fields.
Know more about job-related competencies. View the 12 core competencies identified as critical for successful job performance across all career fields.
Find out how to identify your work-related strengths. Go to this comprehensive list of strengths.
How to write a career change resume objective
Writing an objective for your resume as a career changer can be a challenge. Use these career change resume objective examples to help you.
Find out what to say when changing careers in your cover letter and resume
View over 50 resume samples to get help with developing your own convincing resume.
Career Change Cover Letter Sample Pages
Need a new career? Use this career cover letter sample to help you secure a new challenge.